Michigan Wedding Photographer answers how to find unique spots to photograph on your wedding?
By Jamie May Photography: Today I am going to discuss, how to find unique spots to photograph your wedding and what to look for.
I would first like to say that Brett and Dannielle are totally awesome people, that I have had a blast getting to know. We started our relationship at a engagement session. Danielle was referred to me by her friend, who was a bride I photographed prior. During the engagement session, they decided to choose a couple locations that were meaningful to them: we made a stop at a park that they spend a lot of time at and the fire-station.
Here is a bit about their day :
We started the day in Muskegon, at private homes, for the girls and guys getting ready pictures. We greeted the guys first and walked into the unique sock display. I love socks! Of course, we had to take a picture. The guys were great about taking pictures and posing for some. We could tell by this crew, it was going to be a fun day! We then headed over to the girls. They had on these adorable robes. I am not sure where they got these, but I have heard in the past people mention Etsy before. Well this home was a beautiful spot to take pictures at, with breathtaking views. I was very excited! Not to mention all the lovely ladies are so fun and photogenic. After we finished up these photos, we headed to the ceremony site in Muskegon. St. Mary’s Catholic Church, so historical. I love the architecture. Not to mention it is pretty light and bright in the church, which can be unusual in such an older congregation.
1. How to chose your wedding venue?
There are situations to look for in buildings, churches, etc, that I know personally, I would have NO idea about if I haven’t been doing this so long!
- What are the rules of the venue? ASK! You want to know what kind of photos they are going to allow you to get. Maybe it isn’t important to you and maybe it is. You want to know the limitations if there are any.
- Look for unique architecture that may interest you
- Walk around the building and look at the time of day you are having your ceremony and what time you plan on having pictures? Are there pretty areas for outside pictures? Look for shade.
- Does the building have lots of natural light?
- White walls? natural light and white walls, really help pictures to look more natural
- Is there somewhere to go if it rains? Maybe you are planning a outdoor venue, what is the back up plan?
After the ceremony, we took advantage of all the beauty this church has to offer! We then headed to the Train Depot in Muskegon. Here the bride and groom were so thoughtful and had food and drinks for everyone to snack and refresh. This is something that can often get overlooked when planning a wedding, feeding your crew! …and remember the waters, sometimes there is only alcohol and people need water. Haha.
I love Muskegon Downtown. It really is an awesome place that I have grown to love. There are so many unique spots within walking distance, yes, that is right in walking distance! It is always such a quiet place, which is also unique because it is a downtown area!!!
2. Look for an outdoor location that has a lot to offer in walking distance.
You can get so much done and quickly when you don’t have to drive everywhere. This is great for a tight timeline or if you just don’t want to spend the whole time on pictures
3. What makes you unique? As a person, as a couple?
We all look at Pinterest and become in awe. There are so many amazing ideas and how do they come up with them, right?! I love when a couple want to add props or locations that are unique to them. Brett happens to be a firefighter, so he has connections 🙂 ! We were able to have so much fun with the expired fire extinguishers. These pictures become unique because it is about them. I know everyone doesn’t have such a cool job, with these kind of props. But maybe it is biking, or cars, or physical fitness??- there is a way to make these pictures extra special and sometimes it just requires a very little effort.
So even if you don’t have any thing amazing – there is alway THE COUPLE, who look amazing on this day and glowing with love, bouncing all over them! So no fear if you are the simple type, that makes you unique, too.
4. How do you pick a Reception Venue?
- Be reasonable about how many guest you are having and the space. It is hard when it is to tight in a space
- Look at where you would sit and your bridal party
- Again – look for natural light and avoid black walls or ceilings, if you can
- Is there a outdoor location to hang out? Always a nice perk
- A bonus is also when the venue really makes it cute. I have to say some of my favorite spots are when the venue puts in effort to style the venue, too. I know that isn’t always in everyone’s budget. But hey, we are talking about what I like here 😉
The venue they chose was at Fricanos in Muskegon. I like that Fricanos, it is really open and has a very large layout. There is a bar area that is great for the happy hour with plenty of room for dinner tables. They also have beautiful views across the way and a little deck to hang out on if you need some fresh air. The staff is always friendly and the food is good. It was a lovely night, with a lively group of people. We had a blast watching all the fun that was being had.
5. Pick a good photographer – Ha! You knew I had to add this one!!
- Experience matters – I am able to execute so many ideas that are living in my brain because we have done so many weddings
- Pinterest list – You have a few ideas, a lot of ideas? That is okay by me. I like to see your vision and not just mine. But if it isn’t for you, we take care of it.
- I am sure I could go on, but I won’t.
Thank you so much Brett and Dannielle for letting me and Marie share in your day! We had so much fun and everyone showed us such kindness! Many blessings to you both and many happy years!!
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! Feel free to share it, like it, love it – you know the drill! And remember to follow Jamie May Photography – on the million different platforms there are, seriously!! -how can we keep up?! Until the next blog post….which needs to be sooner than later… I am still behind!!!
To see more pictures in the Muskegon Downtown location, click here